Cumberland Times-News

James Rada - Looking Back

August 4, 2012

Looking Back 1914: Lake had deep-sea diver

CUMBERLAND — You wouldn’t think that Cumberland, located in the Western Maryland mountains as it is and hundreds of miles from the ocean, would have a need for deep-sea divers. Yet, the city of Cumberland has been known to use them for nearly a century.

Cumberland’s first source of water was from the Potomac River. The Cumberland Water Works began operation in 1871, pumping water from the river to a water plant on Greene Street. From there, the water was filtered and sent throughout the city.

The problem with the Potomac was that it wasn’t the cleanest water around. It was polluted with things like sewage and coal mine runoff.

“Until Cumberland turned to Evitts Creek for its water supply in 1910, the Potomac water produced hundreds of cases of typhoid fever every summer,” John B. Wiseman wrote in “Allegany County — A History.”

Evitts Creek is more than 30 miles long, running from central Bedford County, Pa., to its confluence with the North Branch Potomac River east of Cumberland. When the city of Cumberland constructed a dam on the creek in Pennsylvania in 1913, it created Lake Gordon.

The following year, the dam needed some maintenance — in particular, the opening of a valve at the base of the dam.

However, the problem was that most of the work needed to be done on the lake side of the dam was dozens of feet below the surface of the water.

Merrill-Ruckgaber Contractors hired Harry Hanson to do the work.

Hanson was a deep-sea diver, which is a skill that was needed for the job since he needed to stay 70 feet below the surface up to 40 minutes at a time.

“The diver has all the necessary accoutrements of a deep-sea diver and his movements are very interesting to onlookers,” the Cumberland Press reported in September 1914.

Using the creek as a water supply for the city proved a good and healthy idea.

An Aug. 11, 1922, article in the Cumberland Times said that water-borne illness had virtually disappeared in the city.

“According to records at the City Health Department, Cumberland is in the healthiest state known in its history. For the first week in August, the deaths averaged one a day, considered remarkably low according to the population,” the newspaper reported.

During the previous year, the newspaper said that the city had only one case of typhoid and that came from someone drinking well water from outside of the city.

“July, August and September are the typhoid fever months in the year, but in recent years since the sanitation laws have been enforced and the Evitts Creek water system has been in use, this former scourge of Cumberland has been gradually eliminated and brought down to a few isolated cases,” the Cumberland Times reported.

The Water Works plant, which was built at the same time as the dam to handle the filtration and distribution of the water, remained in operation until it burned down in December 1920, according to Herman Miller, in “Cumberland, Maryland, through the eyes of Herman J. Miller.”

Also, as the city’s population grew, so did its need for water.

Koon Dam was built in 1932, which created Lake Koon to the north of Lake Gordon on Evitts Creek.

Text Only
James Rada - Looking Back
  • JAMES RADA Brothers survive mine collapse

    The Spiker brothers — Harry, Raymond and Charles — were digging coal from their small mine in Gilmore on April 5, 1950. As 9 a.m. approached, they had already been at work for a few hours and were nearing their first meal break of the day.

    June 2, 2014 1 Photo

  • The flood control project Looking Back 1950: North End residents have a moving experience

    The typical way to move is to pack up your belongings, load them into a truck, drive to a new home and unpack. In 1950, North End residents decided it was easier to simply move the house with everything in it.

    May 4, 2014 1 Photo

  • Looking Back: Allegany Countians send their smiles overseas

    Allegany Countians had plenty to smile about in November 1918. On Nov. 11, armistice was declared in Europe, which officially ended World War I. The following day, Walter Arthur and Fred Beck of New York came to the county to film those smiles.

    February 8, 2014

  • James Rada Looking Back 1870

    While new year’s celebrations tend to be loud and boisterous, they can also get out of control. It was still early on New Year’s Day 1870 when a group of boys gathered on Polk Street in Cumberland to celebrate in their own special way.

    January 1, 2014 1 Photo

  • Locomobile and the curse of the black cat Locomobile and the curse of the black cat

    In mid-April of 1926, E. J. Gustafson and his sister, Anne Holrege, set out from Chicago driving a new Locomobile roadster. They planned on enjoying a pleasant, leisurely vacation driving through the northeast United States to Connecticut to get a new set of rear fenders for the roadster.

    June 1, 2013 2 Photos

  • James Rada Looking Back: Cumberland votes down daylight-saving time

    The United States began its move toward daylight-saving time during World War I. Following in the footsteps of Germany and Europe, the U.S. passed the Standard Time Act in March 1916.

    April 4, 2013 1 Photo

  • Looking Back 1914 City council takes action to eliminate rail crossing delays for firefighters

    In November 1914, the call went out from 163 Madison St. that a fire was burning in the house and help was needed. The Cumberland Fire Department was quick to respond as the four firefighters assigned to Central Station No. 1 located at City Hall Square climbed aboard the fire engine and it sped out into the street.

    January 5, 2013 2 Photos

  • Vaudeville shows predated movies in Queen City theaters Vaudeville shows predated movies in Queen City theaters

    Before movies, Cumberland’s theaters hosted vaudeville shows. These were live theatrical performances similar to a television variety show. Performances might include musicians, dancers, comedians, trained animals, magicians, male and female impersonators, acrobats, jugglers and one-act plays. Vaudeville shows were popular from the 1880s to the early 1930s, when talking movies became commonplace.

    October 2, 2012 2 Photos

  • JAMES RADA Looking Back 1896: Where was the casket that went with the handle?

    In 1896, Frostburg residents seemed to be worried that a grave robber was on the loose. The Frostburg Mining Journal ran an article April 30 under the headline “A Suspicious Find” that explained that a silver-plated casket handle had been found on Maple Street in front of former Justice L. J. Parker’s home.

    September 2, 2012 1 Photo

  • Remembering Battle of Antietam in 1937 Remembering Battle of Antietam in 1937

    As Western Maryland prepares to remember the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam in Sharpsburg, no actual Civil War veterans will be attending. The last major anniversary event for a Civil War battle that saw actual veterans in attendance was the 75th. Antietam’s 75th anniversary was in 1937.

    August 7, 2012 2 Photos

Latest news
Must Read
House Ads