Cumberland Times-News

James Rada - Looking Back

February 6, 2012

Looking Back: 1923

Footer’s formula for success began in English textile mills

Thomas Footer knew the formula for wealth. He was a chemist after all. You take one part of good and add to it eight parts of determination and one part belief in yourself.

It was a formula that had worked for him. He was born in England in March 1847. His father was a papermaker, but “he lost both parents in early childhood and began to earn his own living as a boy,” according to the Cumberland Evening Times.

The way he chose to earn his living was to work in the textile miles of England and Scotland where he learned about dyes. During this time, he didn’t neglect his studies, going to night school to learn more about the subjects related to his chosen profession. One of those courses was chemistry, which he studied in depth.

He married Elizabeth Booth in England in 1866 and three years later, they emigrated to America. According to the Cumberland Evening Times, Footer spent a “short time with Jobe woolen mills near Berkeley Springs before coming to Cumberland.” He opened his dye works business in a small workshop on North Liberty Street doing all of the work himself. As with many small businesses, it was hard to make ends meet in the early years, but Footer was a tireless worker and determined to make a better life for him and his family.

“In 40 years from the small workroom Mr. Footer saw his establishment go into a large plant covering a wide acreage, with nearly 1,000 skilled employees in its various departments,” the Cumberland Evening Times reported.

He used his knowledge of chemistry to create better dye formulas. He also invented several appliances and machines that had specific applications to his business. He maintained a lab in his plant where he studied fabrics, washing compounds, dyes and mixtures.

“As an employer of labor he was always known to be fair, reasonable and appreciative, and in the creation of the extensive plant that bears his name he designed in every way for the comfort and contentment of the workers,” according to the newspaper.

His reputation in business grew so that Footer Dye Works was known throughout the East with branch operations in many cities. The business also came to be worth several million dollars.

Even as his net worth increased, Footer did not flaunt his wealth publicly. However, he did travel widely for business, buying art and rare books from the places he traveled. In public, though, he was an unassuming man “with a strong aversion to notoriety.”

This aversion to notoriety didn’t stop him from serving his community, though. At different times, he served as the president of the Maryland Theater Co., on the executive committee of the Chamber of Commerce, director of Liberty Trust Co., junior grand warden of the Grand Lodge of the Masons of Maryland and exalted ruler of the Cumberland Lodge of the Benevolent Order of the Elks. He also served on the Cumberland City Council as a councilman, president of the Cumberland Board of Trade and he even ran for mayor.

As Footer aged, he stepped back from his business duties and eventually sold control of the company to a syndicate, but he remained the chairman of the board.

His health remained good until the final year of his life. Early in 1923, Footer traveled to Battle Creek, Mich., to undergo treatments at a sanitarium there. His health was reported as improving only days before his death.

Then on Aug. 21, 1923, he died, leaving behind his wife, three sons and two daughters.

Contact Jim Rada at jimrada@yahoo.com or 410-698-3571.

1
Text Only
James Rada - Looking Back
  • JAMES RADA Brothers survive mine collapse

    The Spiker brothers — Harry, Raymond and Charles — were digging coal from their small mine in Gilmore on April 5, 1950. As 9 a.m. approached, they had already been at work for a few hours and were nearing their first meal break of the day.

    June 2, 2014 1 Photo

  • The flood control project Looking Back 1950: North End residents have a moving experience

    The typical way to move is to pack up your belongings, load them into a truck, drive to a new home and unpack. In 1950, North End residents decided it was easier to simply move the house with everything in it.

    May 4, 2014 1 Photo

  • Looking Back: Allegany Countians send their smiles overseas

    Allegany Countians had plenty to smile about in November 1918. On Nov. 11, armistice was declared in Europe, which officially ended World War I. The following day, Walter Arthur and Fred Beck of New York came to the county to film those smiles.

    February 8, 2014

  • James Rada Looking Back 1870

    While new year’s celebrations tend to be loud and boisterous, they can also get out of control. It was still early on New Year’s Day 1870 when a group of boys gathered on Polk Street in Cumberland to celebrate in their own special way.

    January 1, 2014 1 Photo

  • Locomobile and the curse of the black cat Locomobile and the curse of the black cat

    In mid-April of 1926, E. J. Gustafson and his sister, Anne Holrege, set out from Chicago driving a new Locomobile roadster. They planned on enjoying a pleasant, leisurely vacation driving through the northeast United States to Connecticut to get a new set of rear fenders for the roadster.

    June 1, 2013 2 Photos

  • James Rada Looking Back: Cumberland votes down daylight-saving time

    The United States began its move toward daylight-saving time during World War I. Following in the footsteps of Germany and Europe, the U.S. passed the Standard Time Act in March 1916.

    April 4, 2013 1 Photo

  • Looking Back 1914 City council takes action to eliminate rail crossing delays for firefighters

    In November 1914, the call went out from 163 Madison St. that a fire was burning in the house and help was needed. The Cumberland Fire Department was quick to respond as the four firefighters assigned to Central Station No. 1 located at City Hall Square climbed aboard the fire engine and it sped out into the street.

    January 5, 2013 2 Photos

  • Vaudeville shows predated movies in Queen City theaters Vaudeville shows predated movies in Queen City theaters

    Before movies, Cumberland’s theaters hosted vaudeville shows. These were live theatrical performances similar to a television variety show. Performances might include musicians, dancers, comedians, trained animals, magicians, male and female impersonators, acrobats, jugglers and one-act plays. Vaudeville shows were popular from the 1880s to the early 1930s, when talking movies became commonplace.

    October 2, 2012 2 Photos

  • JAMES RADA Looking Back 1896: Where was the casket that went with the handle?

    In 1896, Frostburg residents seemed to be worried that a grave robber was on the loose. The Frostburg Mining Journal ran an article April 30 under the headline “A Suspicious Find” that explained that a silver-plated casket handle had been found on Maple Street in front of former Justice L. J. Parker’s home.

    September 2, 2012 1 Photo

  • Remembering Battle of Antietam in 1937 Remembering Battle of Antietam in 1937

    As Western Maryland prepares to remember the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam in Sharpsburg, no actual Civil War veterans will be attending. The last major anniversary event for a Civil War battle that saw actual veterans in attendance was the 75th. Antietam’s 75th anniversary was in 1937.

    August 7, 2012 2 Photos

Latest news
Facebook
Must Read
House Ads