Meanwhile, cameras of a different sort are being utilized in many parts of Cumberland. The Cumberland Police Department lists 27 surveillance cameras in use, with another three to be installed soon inside City Hall.
While most of the cameras are in the downtown area, several are in use in North End and South End neighborhoods....
Slot machine gambling is going full-bore at Charles Town Races & Slots. Since the beginning of the fiscal year on July 1, the 5,013 machines have produced more than $250 million in adjusted gross terminal income, according to a West Virginia Lottery Website.
There are no plans for table games, however. Voters rejected table games such as poker, roulette and blackjack in a 2007 referendum.
While supporters of gaming expansion could again petition to matter to referendum, there appears to be know move in that direction at this time, according to the Hagerstown Herald-Mail....
Seen on the Internet — Funny quotes about work:
• If hard work is the key to success, most people would rather pick the lock.— Claude McDonald
• Working gets in the way of living.— Omar Sharif
• I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. — Jerome K. Jerome
• The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more. — Jonas Salk
• In 50 years, he never worked a day. To him, nine to five was odds on a horse. — Carroll O’Connor as Archie Bunker
• Ham and Eggs — A day’s work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig. — Anonymous
Jan Alderton is managing editor of the Cumberland Times-News. Contact Jan Alderton at firstname.lastname@example.org.