CUMBERLAND — A strong odor of natural gas inside Bishop Walsh Middle-High School prompted a temporary evacuation of staff and students at the school just before 8 a.m. Tuesday.
The Allegany County 911 center said a gas leak was located in the kitchen area of the school and was stopped by Columbia Gas personnel who responded along with the Cumberland Fire Department.
Students and staff who were evacuated to the school grounds were allowed to return to the building at 8:16 a.m. to resume the school-day schedule, according to the emergency center.
- Latest news
- Environmental group claims legislative inaction
- Veterans to meet Aug. 4 at ACM
- Commissioners to take several votes
- Sleep under the stars! Be a game warden!
10 things to know for today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
Gov. O'Malley urging Marylanders to buy local products
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Gov. Martin O’Malley is urging Maryland residents to buy locally produced food.
The governor and the first lady will host a buy local cookout at the governor’s residence in Annapolis on Thursday.
- New 'very eclectic' business opens in Cumberland
Kona Ice owners dole out treats, give back to the community
CUMBERLAND — In addition to serving tasty treats and putting a smile on patrons’ faces, Oakland residents Wheeler Stewart and Jeff Orr, owners/operators of Kona Ice Mountain Maryland, do their part to give back to Allegany and Garrett counties. The number one theme of Kona Ice is that if you give it back, it’s going to come back to you, said Stewart.
Faulty electrical outlet sparks Mount Savage fire
MOUNT SAVAGE — Tuesday’s fire that caused an estimated $30,000 property loss in a residence on Iron Rail Street has been determined to be accidental, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.
- Shooting suspects arrested at Altoona mall
- More Latest news Headlines