CUMBERLAND — The arrival of the Memorial Day weekend also means the unofficial start of the summer season — and a chance to go swimming at area pools.
Local residents will have several places to swim once again this summer — Constitution Park, Bel Air, Keyser, W.Va, Dan’s Mountain State Park, Frostburg and LaVale all have pools to offer to the public.
Of those locations, Frostburg is allowing free admission to its pool all Memorial Day weekend for local residents.
Bill Patch of the city of Cumberland’s Parks and Recreation Department said he hopes the Constitution Park pool will be ready to open by June 1. “With the lack of manpower and inclimate weather, opening by that date will be a challenge” Patch said.
If the pool is unable to open the weekend of June 1, the city hopes to have it ready by the following weekend.
Those swimmers brave enough to try the water this weekend will find not-so-summer-like temperatures. The thermometer may stay in the 60s on Saturday and only reach the mid-70s Sunday and Monday.
The following is a list of opening days and operation hours for area swimming pools:
• Frostburg — Will open Saturday; 2 to 7 p.m. on Mon.-Thur.; noon to 6 p.m. on Fri.-Sun.
• Dan’s Mountain — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wed.-Mon.
• Constitution Park — Tentative open date June 1; noon to 7 p.m. in June and July; noon to 6 p.m. in August until public schools open.
• Bel Air — Will open Saturday; noon to 8 p.m. every day.
• LaVale — Will open Saturday; noon to 8 p.m. every day.
• Keyser — Will open Saturday until Monday and June 1-2; Open full-time starting June 6; noon to 6 p.m. every day.