Cumberland Times-News

January 17, 2013

Two people injured in McCoole house fire

Jeffrey Alderton
Cumberland Times-News



MCCOOLE — Two people were injured and taken by ambulance to Potomac Valley Hospital in Keyser when fire broke out at a McCoole Drive residence early Thursday, according to the Allegany County 911 center.

McCoole Volunteer Fire Department handled the call with assistance of Keyser, Piedmont, Potomac and Fountain volunteer fire departments following alert at 12:05 a.m.

Keyser EMS took Steven Markle and his wife, Rebecca Markle, to the hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries.

First units arriving at the scene reported flames inside the residence.

The fire originated in a mattress that had been moved to an outside porch after it was ignited by smoking materials the night before. About $55,000 in damages to the home and its contents was reported by McCoole Fire Chief Chuck Pearce.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office investigated. The American Red Cross was notified along with the Potomac Edison Co.