Cumberland Times-News

January 15, 2014

One man dead, another 'critical' from carbon monoxide poisoning


Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — A city man died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning and another was hospitalized in critical condition while working in a fume-filled South End residence Tuesday, according to the Cumberland Police Department.

It was at approximately 4:18 p.m., when the Cumberland Police Department responded to a residence located on Boone Street in reference to assist the Cumberland Fire Department who was on the scene due to a possible carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Upon the officers’ arrival, contact was made with personnel from the Cumberland Fire Department who advised that one man was deceased inside this residence and another man was in critical condition.  Investigators from the C3I unit were called to the scene to assume the investigation with the assistance of the City Fire Lt. W. Shannon Adams, the Cumberland city fire marshal.

Police said the deceased is a 63-year-old male of Cumberland.  The person in critical condition is a 67-year-city man who was transported to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Police did not divulge the victims’ names.

Initial investigation revealed that both men were working on the interior of the residence. A gasoline-powered generator and a kerosene heater were being used inside the residence which caused the carbon monoxide levels to become lethal. 

The C3I Unit is continuing to investigate the incident.