Cumberland Times-News

August 8, 2013

Carbon monoxide kills one at fairgrounds; second victim taken to hospital

From Staff Reports
Associated Press

— CUMBERLAND — One person was found dead of an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning and another person was taken to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center late Thursday morning  after they were reportedly found unresponsive and unconscious at the Allegany County Fairgrounds, according to Allegany County 911 director Roger Bennett.

Bennett told the Times-News that a 911 call was received at 11:15 a.m., and one “elderly person” was found deceased at the scene. A second “elderly person” was taken to the hospital by Cresaptown Ambulance and was reportedly in critical condition.

Bennett said the incident apparently occurred as “people were moving in” to the fairgrounds for the three-day Cumberland Firefighters Local 1715 “The Sportsmen” Bash that begins Friday.

The incident is being investigated by the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office. The C3I Unit also responded to assist in the investigation.