Cumberland Times-News

May 1, 2013

Electrical issue cause of Humbird Street fire

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — The fire that occurred Friday at 221 Humbird St. was caused by an electrical problem in the bathroom, according to City Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams, who conducted the investigation jointly with the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The accidental fire completely destroyed the vacant home and damaged houses at 219 and 223 Humbird St. due to their proximity. Damages are estimated to be about $65,000 to the structure and the contents.  

All three houses were unoccupied when members of the Cumberland Fire Department arrived and found heavy fire and smoke coming from 221 Humbird after being alerted at 2:05 a.m. Fire operations were under the direction of Capt. William “Buzz” Davis. Fire Chief Donald Dunn assisted with command functions.

The houses at 221-223 Humbird were owned by Virginia Crites and 219 Humbird is owned by Jesse Cline. The owners had insurance on the buildings.

The two-alarm fire brought units from Ridgeley, LaVale, Wiley Ford and Cresaptown. Bedford Road, Corriganville, Shaft and Frostburg volunteer fire departments stood by at the city fire station with off-duty Cumberland firefighters manning reserve equipment during the incident.