From Staff Reports
WILLIAMSPORT — About 100 firefighters from at least seven counties battled a six-alarm blaze Monday morning in a historic building in Williams-port.
Deputy state fire marshals said a mechanical failure in an oil-burning furnace started the fire that caused an estimated $500,000 in damages to the former Wolfe’s on the Square building.
The three-story, wood-framed structure at 110 N. Conococheague St. housed L&J Liquors, one occupied apartment on the first floor and four vacant apartments on the second and third floors. The occupant escaped without injury after she smelled the odor of smoke. She was assisted by the American Red Cross.
No injuries were reported during the incident that began at 7:18 a.m. The structure was originally built in 1900.
Kevin Lewis, director of Washington County Emergency Services, told the Hagerstown Herald-Mail the fire was under control shortly before noon. No one was evacuated from nearby buildings, according to Lewis.
“We have significant structural loss to the first and second floors of the apartment” at the rear of the building, Lewis told the newspaper.
Some adjoining buildings have smoke damage, he said.
Firefighters from Washington, Allegany, Frederick and Montgomery counties as well as crews from Berkeley, Morgan and Jefferson counties in West Virginia responded to the blaze.