Cumberland Times-News

October 20, 2012

Woman dismisses lawsuit against Mineral County authorities

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— KEYSER, W.Va. — A $3 million lawsuit filed inā€ˆAugust 2010 by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia against Deputy Ronald Keith Anderson, the Mineral County Sheriff’s Office and the Mineral County Commission has been voluntarily dismissed by Grant County resident Charlotte Carter, according to Sheriff Craig Fraley.  

“There was no explanation as to why Carter voluntarily dismissed the complaint at this time,” said Fraley in a news release.

Carter claimed that Anderson used excessive force when arresting her for driving under the influence. The incident occurred on Aug. 20, 2010, when Anderson arrested Carter for DUI after she was involved in a two-vehicle accident on U.S. Route 220 at the highway’s intersection with Stony Run Road. After being handcuffed and placed in the patrol vehicle, Carter slipped a hand out of the handcuffs and was attempting to escape the police car, according to the news release.

“Deputy Anderson attempted to control Carter as she was kicking and swinging, in the process she was taken to the ground where she struck her face,” said Fraley in the news release. “Carter was taken to the hospital for treatment after the incident. This incident was investigated at the time after Carter filed a complaint with the Sheriff’s Office.”

Carter made the statement at that time that the officer did nothing wrong as she attempted to escape. In August 2012, Lawrence Sherman of Romney filed the complaint on behalf of Carter in federal court, alleging excessive force and violation of civil rights. The suit alleged that both Carter’s eyes, her left jaw, hands, wrist, knees and legs were injured in the incident, according to a previous Times-News article.

Carter was charged with DUI causing injury, second offense, obstructing and battery on a police officer. In exchange for a guilty plea, the battery charge was dismissed and the DUI with injury charge was reduced to DUI.

She was sentenced to 30 days in jail on both charges, to run concurrently, with all but four days suspended, and fined $250 and $500.80 in court costs, according to a previous Times-News article.