I have many questions.
1. Why were citizens of this county taken into a coalition of counties and money paid by citizens to appointed people by a person elected to represent citizens without their having a referendum or voice in the decision?
2. Why is one elected official who is to be commissioner of Allegany County making decisions to pay a lobbyist and possibly a law firm and pay large sum of money without referendum or notice to taxpayers?
3. Now he is going to take on Canal Place. The tourist business is a flat out no revenue dean. Even the suggestions were made at meetings where the public was to be heard and discussed for viability, they were dismissed or ignored. You have to have a marketing structure in this area or no increment of capital is going to be viable to bring in tourist revenue to Cumberland. Is this his position to take all this authority without public voice? This is democracy?
We need jobs in Cumberland and Allegany County. I have read in yor editorial page, suggestions for promoting livelihood for residents. They also seem to be ignored. Where are our state representatives to speak out on the legality of all this authority? Are you aware it is being implemented without any voice from the taxpayer?
We as citizens do our duty and obligation to vote you into office, so what are you doing to serve “We, the People” of Cumberland, Allegany County and the state of Maryland? Governments are created by the people to serve the people.
Patricia J. Sweitzer
I have many questions.
Why are fair officials targeting firefighters?
The Allegany County Fair has been known for its Demolition Derby for a long time. Several years back the operation of the derby was awarded to the local Cresaptown Volunteer Fire Department.
Here’s a time when W.Va. law took precedence over Md. law
There may be an applicable precedent concerning any assumption that the Potomac Highlands Airport Authority (PHAA) can choose to ignore West Virginia territorial state laws.
- Tribute to Katie (Arnold) Forrest
- Citizens don’t want Terrapin Run; remove it from the plan
- Hydrofracking won’t spoil just land of those who consent to it
- McCoole Fire Department’s failure must be investigated
- How they held each other could be a lesson for us all
It shouldn’t take a study to figure out what city needs
Another study on what to do with Cumberland? (“City’s economic consultants unveil good, bad at study update,” June 26 Times-News, Page 1A)
It might not be a problem, but a possibility
God certainly orchestrates circumstances that cause us to marvel. The recent flood In Cresaptown that Calvary Baptist Church/School endured is proving to be yet another miracle birthed out of devastation.
Look to the Jubilee solution to resolve our economic woes
Following the Lehman banking debacle of 2008, the government sponsored bailout of the banking sector to boost the economy created an illusion of recovery.
- More Letters Headlines
- Why are fair officials targeting firefighters?