From Staff Reports
CUMBERLAND — A sprinkler system in a North End warehouse that caught fire in the city Friday morning helped avert damages there, but six people were displaced by a fire in an Arch Street home Thursday that had no working smoke alarms, according to City Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams.
Workers at the High Point Furniture portion of the warehouse at 253 Franklin St. owned by city resident Lenny Kline called in the accidental fire when they were alerted by an alarm and sprinkler system at 10:22 a.m. Friday, Adams said.
The electrical fire started where an extension cord was plugged in to a space heater and caused an estimated $150,000 damage to the structure and its contents, which were insured. Smoke and/or water damage occurred in portions of the property being used by Western Correctional Institution and Western Maryland Health System.
Firefighters from Cumberland, Ridgeley, Bowling Green and Bedford Road brought the fire under control in about 30 minutes, Adams said. Off-duty city firefighters were on the scene and on standby at headquarters, assisted by LaVale and Bowman’s Addition volunteers. City police also responded.
The 12:44 p.m. house fire at 308 Arch St. Thursday was due to faulty electrical wiring in the bathroom ceiling, Adams said. Occupants smelled a burning odor and called 911. Damage to the building owned by John Morgan and occupied by Charles Landenberger and five other people was estimated at $10,000.
The fire was brought under control by city firefighters in 10 minutes, Adams said.
The American Red Cross provided assistance.
Both fires required assistance with utilities by Columbia Gas and Potomac Edison.