Cumberland Times-News

Local News

December 28, 2013

Kitchen fire temporarily closes popular eatery

Hen House blaze couldn’t have come at worse time, owner says

FROSTBURG — A fire late Friday night in the kitchen of the Hen House Restaurant on National Pike has forced the eatery to close for the New Year’s holiday, one of the busiest times of the year for the restaurant.

The owners hope to reopen the restaurant in a week or two, said co-owner Gary Warn, who owns the restaurant with his brother, Bill.

The fire could not have come at a worse time, said Gary Warn.

“This is the last hurrah of the winter holiday season.” The restaurant is very busy from before Christmas through New Year’s, and the season is important to the business, Warn said.

The fire was confined to the kitchen.

“The damage was not significant, but it was enough,” Warn said.

A propane leak is suspected as the cause of the fire, but an official ruling from fire officials was not available Saturday.

 Warn said the kitchen fire was a “slap.” The restaurant was rebuilt after a fire destroyed it in the spring of 2006.

“Our fire suppression systems worked like they were supposed to,” Warn said as he waited for an insurance adjuster to examine the damage.

Warn said he could not yet provide a precise reopening date. Because of the holidays, some officials required to OK a reopening won’t be immediately available, he said.

Warn and his employees were cleaning up the water, chemical and smoke damage at the restaurant on Saturday.

The restaurant’s website is www.henhouserestaurant.com.

1
Text Only
Local News