OLDTOWN — A LaVale man faces a Feb. 28, 1 p.m., court appearance for hunting bears out of season in an incident where one bruin was killed and another shot, but not recovered, according to Sgt. Brian Albert of the Maryland Natural Resources Police.
The case will be heard in Allegany County District Court.
Charged by NRP Officer Cory Garver is Charles Frederick Evans III, 31. The shootings took place Nov. 24, the opening day of the Maryland deer firearms season, on the Green Ridge State Forest near Dailey Road, according to court documents.
“The investigation continues and other charges are being considered,” Albert said Thursday. “We believe there were four bears involved. One sow was shot and killed and a cub was shot through the guts.”
Clarissa Harris of the Maryland Wildlife & Heritage Service confirmed the weight of the sow as 180 pounds. The bear was not collared or tagged.
Albert said NRP tracking dog Blu, a Labrador retriever, trailed the wounded cub for some distance, but the injured animal could not be found. “Our intent was to dispatch it if we could find it,” Albert said.
The incident was analyzed by the Allegany County state’s attorney before the charge was filed, Albert said.
The charge of hunting bears out of season requires the defendant to appear in court. Prepayment of a fine is not an option.
Other recent area charges by NRP include:
• Daniel Edward Squires, 46, Oldtown, failure to wear fluorescent orange, hunting deer in closed season, court date March 12, 1 p.m., Allegany County.
• Brett Shane Singleton, 39, Cumberland, $52 fine, $22.50 court cost for failing to wear fluorescent orange.
• Robert Glenn Singleton, 43, Cumberland, $77.50 fine, $22.50 court cost for hunting illegally on Sunday and $27.50/$22.50 for failing to report a deer kill.
• Raymond Joseph Glasgow, 58, Davidsonville, exceeding deer bag limit, court date March 21, 1 p.m., Allegany County.
• John Royce Pittman Jr., 58, Oldtown, hunting without license, no payment made or court date set.
• Marco Anthony Santini, 60, Bowie, hunting without license, no payment made or court date set.
• Glenn Bert Highsmith, 60, Bowie, failure to possess or show hunting license, court date Feb. 28, 1 p.m., Allegany County.
• Steven Paul Highsmith, 35, Edgewater, attempt to exceed bag limit, court date Feb. 28, 1 p.m., Allegany County.
• Nathan Marc Mullinix, 19, Hancock, possession of deer in closed season, court date March 20, 1 p.m., Washington County.
Contact Michael A. Sawyers at firstname.lastname@example.org.