Jonathan Marquez holds a check representing cash he received for his birthday, which he donated along with other gifts to Karen Crosby, right, program coordinator of Jane’s Place, a nonprofit child advocacy agency. At left is Fran Castle, child abuse prevention chairwoman for Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie 2883 Auxiliary. Marquez wanted to have a party to celebrate his ninth birthday and invite his classmates, teacher and principal from Cresaptown Elementary School. He also wanted to donate all of his gifts to children less fortunate than him. The Cresaptown club made available its facilities. Marquez received $122 and other presents. Crosby will distribute the items to children through her agency and other organizations.
- Local News
- Corbett, coal interests rally before EPA hearings
- Journey of Hope to raise over $500,000 for charity
- NIH scientists find new genetic risk factors for Parkinson’s
- Housing Authority employees charged with felony theft
- Possible agreement reached between firefighters and city
- Many migrant children relocating with family
- LaVale woman earns First Year Teacher Award
Garrett County pre-K providers to receive $42,000 in grants
Garrett County providers will receive $442,000 in grants as part of Maryland’s Prekindergarten Expansion Act of 2014.
The Garrett County Community Action Committee Inc. received $112,000 to open up an additional or new pre-K in the southern end of the county and $330,00 to add two elementary schools, Grantsville and Friendsville, to the Judy Center, according to Duane Yoder, president of GCCAC.
- Trapping instruction scheduled
- Learn to hunt small game
- More Local News Headlines