Cumberland Times-News

Local News

January 15, 2014

One dead, one critical in South End carbon monoxide poisoning

Gasoline-powered generator, kerosene heater used in unventilated residence caused lethal air toxicity

CUMBERLAND — A city man died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning and an Ellerslie man was hospitalized in critical condition while painting in a fume-filled South End residence Tuesday, according to the Cumberland Police Department.

Police said 63-year-old Chester Edward Porter Jr. was pronounced dead at the scene. His body was taken to the Maryland State Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy to determine cause of death.

Ronald Eugene Mowery, 67, of Ellerslie, was in critical condition when he was taken to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center for treatment.

It was at approximately 4:18 p.m. when the Cumberland Police Department responded to a residence on Boone Street to assist the Cumberland Fire Department, which was on the scene due to a possible carbon monoxide poisoning.  

Both victims were found unconscious when first-responders arrived after a relative of one of the men reportedly arrived at the residence after not being able to make routine contact by phone.

Investigators from the C3I unit were called to the scene to assume the investigation with the assistance of city fire Lt. W. Shannon Adams, the Cumberland fire marshal.

Initial investigation re-vealed that both men were working on the interior of the residence that was unoccupied. A gasoline-powered generator and a kerosene heater were being used inside the residence that caused the carbon monoxide levels to become lethal.  

 

1
Text Only
Local News