Cumberland Times-News

Local News

January 5, 2013

City council takes action to eliminate rail crossing delays for firefighters

Looking Back 1914

In November 1914, the call went out from 163 Madison St. that a fire was burning in the house and help was needed. The Cumberland Fire Department was quick to respond as the four firefighters assigned to Central Station No. 1 located at City Hall Square climbed aboard the fire engine and it sped out into the street.

The fire horses charged forward in their harnesses pulling and racing through town. However, all of that speediness was wasted when a flagman at the Pear Street railroad crossing stopped the engine and refused to let it pass.

The Cumberland Evening Times reported that Cumberland Police and Fire Commissioner Theodore Hummelshine told the mayor and rest of the council, “The fire chief advised me that the flagman could have held up the train just as easily as the fire company, and could thereby have given the latter the right of way.”

The engine was held up for five minutes at the crossing and had the fire been larger, the building might have been a total loss. The frustration that the firefighters felt at not being able to get to the fire in a timely manner spurred Hummelshine to action.

Hummelshine told the council that something needed to be done and he wanted firemen to have the right of way in Cumberland when they were responding to fire calls.

“I am confident that the railroad companies do not want their employees to hold up our firemen on their way to fires, where it is possible to act otherwise,” Hummelshine said, according to the Cumberland Evening Times.

Cumberland’s Fire Department was still relatively new with improvements happening regularly with fire engines. The fire department had been organized Aug. 4, 1902, and it went into service March 26, 1906, with John Slemmer as the fire chief.

During its early years, the department was tested with some major fires. One of the most-noted fires happened next door to the Central Station on March 14, 1910, when Cumberland City Hall and the Academy of Music, Masonic Hall, city offices and Market House were completely destroyed by fire despite Cumberland firefighters’ best efforts to get it under control.

Besides Central Station No. 1, two stations served Cumberland at this time. South End No. 2 station was on Browning Street and staffed by three firefighters. West Side No. 3 Station was in Spruce Alley and staffed by three firefighters. A fourth station on Frederick Street would not open until 1925.

The limited staffing of the paid fire department meant that engines needed to be able to move quickly since they had a lot of area to cover in vehicles that weren’t as swift as the ones used today, particularly since the department used fire horses to pull the engines until the early 1920s.

The Cumberland Fire De-partment had eight horses to pull its engines, according to Herman Miller in “Cumberland, Maryland through the eyes of Herman J. Miller.” The horses pulled three double 35-gallon combination hose-and-chemical wagons. The department also had a 65-foot Seagrave aerial truck and a steamer to pump water.

The council recognized the importance of getting firefighters to fires as quickly as possible and approved Hummelshine’s request.

Text Only
Local News
  • W.Va. legislative candidates gearing up for election

    ROMNEY, W.Va. — Five area candidates will be vying for legislative seats in this year’s election.

    April 20, 2014

  •  Easter grass Easter grass

    Kamryn Rice, 7, of Flintstone, finds and bags a plastic egg during Cumberland’s annual Easter Egg Hunt Saturday afternoon at Constitution Park. Hosted by the city’s Parks and Recreation Department, along with students from Frostburg State University’s Recreation and Parks Management program and the 4-H Youth of Allegany County, the afternoon also included games, relay races, face painting, temporary tattoos, arts and crafts, and a petting zoo sponsored by the 4-H Hare Raiser Club, as well as a visit from the Easter Bunny. The eggs contained candy and other treats.

    April 20, 2014 1 Photo

  • Business community wary of minimum wage increases

    CUMBERLAND — Allegany County businesses are certain to be impacted by the increase in Maryland’s minimum wage, set to reach $10.10 an hour by July 2018 under a law championed by Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley.

    April 20, 2014

  • Tipped workers left behind in pay hike action

    ANNAPOLIS — Many minimum wage workers will be getting a raise now that a hike to Maryland’s wage has been signed into law. But while advocates are ascribing the increase as a win, there’s a bitter aftertaste for one group that was left behind.

    April 20, 2014

  • Views vary among Americans when it comes to hourly rate

    CUMBERLAND — Even among those who have worked minimum wage jobs, views on the minimum wage can differ.
    “Minimum wage has to exist. There is no question there, so whatever it is, it will be called ‘minimum wage’. But it should not be below a living wage,” said Bonita Quick of Cumberland.

    April 20, 2014

  • Income guideline change will increase WIC recipients

    KEYSER, W.Va. — Raised income eligibility guidelines for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children will increase the number of those served in West Virginia by about 10 percent, according to the state health officer.

    April 20, 2014

  • Absentee ballots moving online causes security concerns

    ANNAPOLIS — Voters may get to skip the lines at the polls this summer by receiving and marking their ballots online, but election officials must first decide if the convenience outweighs the security risks.

    April 20, 2014

  • Allegany County emergency medical services honorees and supporters Allegany, Garrett emergency responders honored

    MCHENRY — The 75 people from Allegany and Garrett counties who were involved with two exceptional emergency medical services calls in 2013 were presented with awards at the recent Night for Stars program held at the Wisp Resort.

    April 20, 2014 2 Photos

  • Lexis Trickett meets with Gov. Martin O’Malley Ninth-grader among 30 at inaugural event

    OAKLAND — Lexis Trickett, a ninth-grade student at Southern Garrett High School, was among 30 girls who attended Gov. Martin O’Malley’s Leadership Forum for Women and Girls recently in Annapolis in celebration of Women’s History Month.

    April 20, 2014 1 Photo

  • School immunization requirements change

    CUMBERLAND — Changes to school immunization requirements by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene affect students entering kindergarten and seventh grade for the next school year.

    April 20, 2014

Must Read
News related video
Hundreds Gather for Denver Pot Rally on Easter Ocean Drones Making Waves in Research World Breakfast Foods Are Getting Pricier Raw: Crowds Rally at '420' Celebration in Denver Marathoners Celebrate Easter With Tradition Raw: Obamas Attend Easter Service Raw: Easter Morning Delivery for Space Station Ceremony Marks 19th Anniversary of OKC Bombing Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case