Cumberland Times-News

December 2, 2012

Sunday morning stabbing results in charges

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — A man was stabbed early Sunday morning after leaving a party at a Maryland Avenue residence, apparently after a dispute that began at the party.

Cumberland police were called just after midnight for reports of a loud party.

While police were on the scene, they saw a man being helped in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven convenience store.

The victim had a large amount of blood on his shirt, and when officers contacted the man and his friends, they learned that the 19-year-old victim had been stabbed several times during a fight.

Investigators with the Allegany County Combined Criminal Investigation Unit  responded to assist with the investigation. The scene was processed for evidence by a crime scene technician with the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division.

Police said interviews with witnesses showed that the victim had been at the party and he and several friends left the residence to return to the victim’s vehicle, which was parked in the vicinity of Park and Emily streets.

After the victim and his friends got into their vehicle, another vehicle pulled in behind them.

A subject known to the victim and his friends got out of the vehicle and confronted the victim, said police.

The two started fighting and then two other people came out of the suspect’s vehicle and joined in the attack on the victim. The three suspects started stabbing the victim. One of the suspects also displayed a handgun during the attack.

The suspects fled the scene as police arrived.

The victim was transported to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center for treatment of four stab wounds: two in the back, one in the neck and one in the arm. The wounds were determined to be non-life threatening and the victim was treated and released.

Police said the suspect who originally attacked the victim was identified as 21-year-old Jamaal Anthony Linton of Baltimore.

Investigators learned that Linton had also gone to the hospital, but left after he was asked to check in. Investigators were told Linton had entered the emergency room of Sinai Hospital in Baltimore for treatment of a laceration to the hand. The Baltimore City Police were contacted and responded to the hospital where Linton was placed under arrest.

He was awaiting an initial appearance before a district court commissioner and will be returned to Allegany County to face charges.

The investigation by the Cumberland Police and C3I is continuing.