Cumberland Times-News

November 25, 2013

Westernport couple loses everything in house fire

Electrical malfunction near entertainment center sparks blaze that destroyed residence

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— WESTERNPORT — A Westernport couple who were living on Koon Hollow Road lost all their possessions there in an accidental house fire Saturday evening, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Linda and Robert Braithwaite were living in the one-story, wood-frame home owned by Marty Jewel and Mamie Lambert at 24106 Koon Hollow Road.

A neighbor discovered the fire at 8:15 p.m. that brought 56 volunteer firefighters to the home, the fire marshal’s office said.

The fire started in the living room when an electrical malfunction occurred near the entertainment center. It destroyed the home and contents, causing an estimated $30,000 in damage.

Firefighters from Westernport, Piedmont, Bloomington, Barton, Lonaconing, Midland and Keyser brought the blaze under control in 25 minutes, the fire marshal’s office said.

The American Red Cross assisted the family.