Cumberland Times-News

Local News

November 11, 2013

Firefighters return to scene of woods fire

SHORT GAP, W.Va. — Short Gap and Fort Ashby volunteer firefighters returned Monday morning to the scene of a brush fire near Waxler Road that scorched about 30 acres the day before.

“We went up there to check the hot spots and we have been up there all day putting out the fire and cutting down trees,” said Everett Metheny, chief of the Short Gap Volunteer Fire Department.

Sunday’s fire was caused by a person who threw out hot ashes from a wood stove, Metheny said.

The rekindled fire was extinguished around 4 p.m. Monday, and Metheny said firefighters would return to the scene Tuesday to check the area.

The fire began Sunday near Parks Lane off Knobley Road and burned uphill, eventually reaching The Pinnacle housing development on Waxler Road.

No homes caught fire, but many were protected by firefighters.

1
Text Only
Local News
Facebook
Must Read
News related video
Judge OKs Record-setting $2B Sale of Clipper Arts, Humanities Awards Handed Out at WH Former Va. Governor's Corruption Trial Begins Trial Begins Over OKC Bombing Video $15B Deal on Vets' Health Care Reached Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. Maine Police Investigate Deaths of Family of 5 UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage US Evacuates Embassy in Libya Amid Clashes Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Obama Asks Central American Leaders for Help Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath