Cumberland Times-News

November 11, 2013

Firefighters return to scene of woods fire

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— SHORT GAP, W.Va. — Short Gap and Fort Ashby volunteer firefighters returned Monday morning to the scene of a brush fire near Waxler Road that scorched about 30 acres the day before.

“We went up there to check the hot spots and we have been up there all day putting out the fire and cutting down trees,” said Everett Metheny, chief of the Short Gap Volunteer Fire Department.

Sunday’s fire was caused by a person who threw out hot ashes from a wood stove, Metheny said.

The rekindled fire was extinguished around 4 p.m. Monday, and Metheny said firefighters would return to the scene Tuesday to check the area.

The fire began Sunday near Parks Lane off Knobley Road and burned uphill, eventually reaching The Pinnacle housing development on Waxler Road.

No homes caught fire, but many were protected by firefighters.