Cumberland Times-News

October 19, 2013

Food left unattended on stove sparks city fire

Resident suffers minor burns; Woodside Avenue family displaced

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — An early-morning fire Saturday forced a family to stay with relatives after smoke and heat damaged their Woodside Avenue home, said Lt. W. Shannon Adams, Cumberland Fire Department fire marshal.

An occupant of the home was treated at the scene for minor burns but refused transport to the hospital.

Damages to 520 Woodside Ave. were estimated to be about $5,000 to the home and $5,000 to its contents. The 1:11 a.m. fire was caused by unattended cooking on the stove and ruled accidental, Adams said.

Officers from the Cumberland Police Department arrived on the scene first and found fire at the kitchen stove and smoke throughout the house. Sgt. Andy Tichnell was able to knock the fire down with an extinguisher, Adams said.

The fire was confined to the kitchen with no extension to the rest of the house, Adams said. There was smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the structure.

Fire operations were under the direction of Capt. Daron Winters. The investigation was conducted by Adams.

The building is owned by Jesse Dom and Tanya McMannis and is insured.

There were operating smoke alarms at the time of the fire, which alerted the family about the fire, Adams said. A total of 13 firefighters from the city department were on scene.

City police also assisted at the scene, Adams said.