Cumberland Times-News

April 26, 2013

Fire razes city home

Blaze leaps alley, causes damage to adjacent properties

Greg Larry
Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — No one was injured in an early morning house fire Friday that destroyed a vacant Humbird Street home and caused extensive damage to two neighboring homes, including one that was damaged when the blaze crossed an alley.

The cause of the fire, which originated at 221 Humbird St., is still under investigation by Fire Marshall Lt. Shannon Adams of the Cumberland Fire Department.

The blaze was reported at 2:10 a.m., according to the property’s owner, Ginger Crites. Crites lives and owns the home next door, 223 Humbird St.

“I was asleep in the bedroom and I saw light flashing,” said Crites. She said she immediatly called 911.

Crites said she had extended family living in the single-story, two bedroom home in the past but it was vacant at the time of the fire.

Crites’ residence, a brick home, also sustained damage. Trim, vents and siding were burned as a result of the heat from the blaze.

A residence at 219 Humbird St., owned by Jan and Jesse Cline, received extensive damage when the heat from the blaze jumped an alley and ignited their attic floor. They had the complete melting and destuction of the vinyl siding facing the fire and also received fire, smoke and water damage to a second floor bedroom.

“We were both away. We work out of town and we had already left,” said Jan Cline.

The fire crossed the interior of their attic and came out the vent on the other side.

“They said it was the heat that started the fire,” said Cline.

Both the Crites and the Clines said they have insurance.

Several mutual aid volunteer companies assisted Cumberland firefighers at the scene.

Greg Larry can be contacted at glarry@times-news.com.