Cumberland Times-News

Local News

May 17, 2013

Decatur Street resident suffers smoke inhalation in kitchen fire

CUMBERLAND — A member of the Larry Bowling family was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation after an early-morning kitchen fire at 6 Decatur St. that was caused by unattended cooking, according to Cumberland Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams.

The family was alerted to the 2:52 a.m. accidental fire by smoke alarms and no one else was injured.

Damages are estimated to be about $10,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents. The building is owned by Richard Cerutti. There is insurance on the property by the owner but the occupants do not have renters insurance, Adams said.

First-arriving units found smoke and fire in the kitchen. The fire was confined to the kitchen but there was some smoke damage throughout the rest of the structure. The fire was under control in about five minutes. Fire operations were under the direction of Capt. Bill “Buzz” Davis.

Ridgeley Volunteer Fire Department stood by at Cumberland Fire Department headquarters along with off-duty city firefighters. City police assisted with traffic control.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family, Adams said.  

 

1
Text Only
Local News
Facebook
Must Read
News related video
3 People Killed, Deputies Wounded in NC Shootout Suing Obama: GOP-led House Gives the Go-ahead Obama: 'Blood of Africa Runs Through My Veins' Amid Drought, UCLA Sees Only Water Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Air Force: Stowaway Triggers Security Review Minnesota Fire Engulfs Home, Two Garages Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Officials Unsure of UCLA Flood Repair Date At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train