From Staff Reports
CUMBERLAND — A member of the Larry Bowling family was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation after an early-morning kitchen fire at 6 Decatur St. that was caused by unattended cooking, according to Cumberland Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams.
The family was alerted to the 2:52 a.m. accidental fire by smoke alarms and no one else was injured.
Damages are estimated to be about $10,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents. The building is owned by Richard Cerutti. There is insurance on the property by the owner but the occupants do not have renters insurance, Adams said.
First-arriving units found smoke and fire in the kitchen. The fire was confined to the kitchen but there was some smoke damage throughout the rest of the structure. The fire was under control in about five minutes. Fire operations were under the direction of Capt. Bill “Buzz” Davis.
Ridgeley Volunteer Fire Department stood by at Cumberland Fire Department headquarters along with off-duty city firefighters. City police assisted with traffic control.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family, Adams said.