Cumberland Times-News

Local News

April 19, 2013

Frostburg standoff ends in arrest

Police: Possible hostage situation ends without injury

FROSTBURG — A report of a possible hostage situation on West Mechanic Street ended peacefully and without injury late Thursday when Frostburg Police and allied agencies arrested a 33-year-old Frostburg man.

At about 10 p.m., a juvenile in the residence at 118 West Mechanic called police, informing that his “mother’s boyfriend had a gun pointed at his mother and his un-cle’s head.”

A large group of police officers left the Frostburg Police station in response to the incident that occurred a few blocks from police headquarters.

After surrounding the residence, police observed Charles Nelson Thrasher, 33, inside the two-story house. Thrasher pulled back a curtain to look out the back door. Officers gave repeated commands to Thrasher to come out with his hands up. However, Thrasher ignored the police commands and remained inside.

Minutes later, the back door opened and a juvenile came out, stating that Thrasher was inside and that he had a gun.

As officers entered the dwelling at the rear, Thrasher went out the front of the residence and was taken into custody without incident.

Thrasher reportedly told police that he did not have a gun but had a “piece of plastic that looked like a gun.” However, a search following the arrest led to the discovery of a fully loaded handgun from beneath Thrasher’s bed.

A Cumberland woman and her brother were inside the residence and were allegedly threatened by Thrasher before officers were called. Thrasher allegedly had pulled a .25-caliber handgun from a waist holster, pulled the slide back and chambered a round before pointing the weapon at the victims. The suspect and victims argued before the victims were able to leave the residence without incident.

Police said three juveniles, ages 3, 12 and 13, were inside the residence at the time of the incident that ended with the arrest about 10 minutes after Frostburg Police arrived.

Thrasher was jailed late Friday morning on $100,000 bond set by a district court commissioner. He was charged  with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and use of a firearm in commission of a crime after being convicted of a felony.

Police were also checking the ownership of the handgun that was confiscated.

Frostburg Police were assisted in the incident by Maryland State Police, the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office and the Frostburg State  University Campus Police Department.

Frostburg Police Chief Royce Douty said, “We are very fortunate that no one was injured. The quick response and the fact that we had extra manpower on duty at the time helped us to make a quick arrest and without anyone being injured.”

Jeffrey Alderton may be reached at

Text Only
Local News