Cumberland Times-News

Local News

January 24, 2013

Fire damages Oldtown residence

Overheated woodstove sparks blaze

OLDTOWN — An accidental fire heavily damaged the Jerry Crabtree property at 23210 Oldtown Road early Thursday, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

No injuries were reported in the 12:30 a.m. blaze where Deputy Fire Marshal Ryan Chapman determined the cause as an overheated woodstove in the one-story dwelling.

Thirty-five volunteer firefighters from Oldtown, District 16, Baltimore Pike, Ellerslie, Bedford Road and Springfield controlled the fire in 45 minutes.

Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the building and $5,000 to its contents.

The fire was discovered by the occupants. No smoke alarms were present  in the residence, Chapman said.

Allegany County 911 dispatchers, who handled three major fires in Allegany County at the same time Wednesday, dispatched units for the Oldtown fire. About three hours later, the 911 center sent firefighters to Welsh Hill Road in Frostburg for a report of a house full of smoke.

The 3:14 a.m. incident was caused by a faulty furnace, according to the Frostburg Volunteer Fire Department that handled the incident along with assistance of Shaft, Mount Savage and LaVale volunteer firefighters.

Units were on the scene for a few hours and Frostburg Police also responded.

Allegany County 911 dispatchers have handled alerts and communications for eight fires in Allegany County since Sunday.


Text Only
Local News