Darby Dennis, left, of Cumberland and John Marvin, director of the Allegany County Chess Club, play chess with over-sized pieces while Jonathan Walters of Cumberland, center, practices on the downtown mall in Cumberland on Friday. Friday After Five usually draws a crowd to the chess tables, but a spring rainstorm dampened the event and caused the cancellation of all outdoor music.
- Local News
- Housing Authority employees charged with felony theft
- Possible agreement reached between firefighters and city
- Many migrant children relocating with family
- LaVale woman earns First Year Teacher Award
Garrett County pre-K providers to receive $42,000 in grants
Garrett County providers will receive $442,000 in grants as part of Maryland’s Prekindergarten Expansion Act of 2014.
The Garrett County Community Action Committee Inc. received $112,000 to open up an additional or new pre-K in the southern end of the county and $330,00 to add two elementary schools, Grantsville and Friendsville, to the Judy Center, according to Duane Yoder, president of GCCAC.
- Trapping instruction scheduled
- Learn to hunt small game
- Off-road vehicle trail plan moves forward
No injuries in house fire in Keyser
No one was injured in an attic fire that occurred in a double house located on 202 Argyle Street at 9:20 a.m. today, according to the Mineral County 911 center.
- Westernport water to be off
- More Local News Headlines