Sgt. Joe McDaniels, director of Veterans for Children, Inc., held a drive at the LaVale Volunteer Rescue Squad to bring awareness to his cause and to gather donations for the upcoming Christmas season. Donations included new clothing, new toys and money for families in need in the area. McDaniels started the organization in 1960 after his tour of duty ended in Vietnam and he came home and realized the amount of people in need in the area.
- Local News
- Corbett, coal interests rally before EPA hearings
- Journey of Hope to raise over $500,000 for charity
- NIH scientists find new genetic risk factors for Parkinson’s
- Housing Authority employees charged with felony theft
- Possible agreement reached between firefighters and city
- Many migrant children relocating with family
- LaVale woman earns First Year Teacher Award
Garrett County pre-K providers to receive $42,000 in grants
Garrett County providers will receive $442,000 in grants as part of Maryland’s Prekindergarten Expansion Act of 2014.
The Garrett County Community Action Committee Inc. received $112,000 to open up an additional or new pre-K in the southern end of the county and $330,00 to add two elementary schools, Grantsville and Friendsville, to the Judy Center, according to Duane Yoder, president of GCCAC.
- Trapping instruction scheduled
- Learn to hunt small game
- More Local News Headlines