Cumberland Times-News

April 30, 2013

Invesigators say fatal Frostburg fire caused by faulty electrical components in entertainment center

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— FROSTBURG — The fatal fire that occurred April 23 in the Green Street mobile home of Patricia Porter was caused by faulty electrical components in an entertainment center, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Porter, 65, had received severe burn injuries to her upper torso and face and was transported to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center before being flown to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center in critical condition, where she later succumbed to her injuries.

Glenn Porter, 62, and Maria Porter, 62, were transported to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening smoke inhalation injuries and were treated and released.

The accidental blaze at 56 Green St., Lot 10, originated in the living room of the mobile home.

Nearly 50 firefighters from Frostburg, Shaft, Midland, LaVale, Cresaptown, Clarysville and Mount Savage volunteer fire departments responded with Frostburg Area Ambulance Service to the one-alarm blaze that eventually consumed the mobile home. Two adjacent mobile homes received exterior radiant heat damage.

No other injuries were reported during the incident. Working smoke alarms alerted the occupants of the blaze. Fire loss damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $25,000.