Cumberland Times-News

Local News

March 19, 2013

Fire displaces Oakland family; responders revive pet dog found in closet of home

Blaze began in wall behind wood burner

OAKLAND — An Oakland woman and her two children escaped harm Tuesday morning when fire broke out in their residence at 2360 Garrett Road.

A family dog was revived by emergency personnel after it was found unconscious in a closet of the residence.

Deer Park Fire Chief Ken Collins said Melissa Glotfelty and two youngsters were displaced after fire broke out in their single-story residence at about 4:15 a.m. The property is owned by James Elsey.

The family escaped with one of their pet dogs. The second dog was missing but found within minutes during the fire operation.

Firefighters found the canine unconscious but the dog was revived upon giving it oxygen with the fire department’s Pet Oxygen Mask Kit. At last report, the dog was stable while being cared for by a veterinarian.

The fire originated in a wall behind a wood burning stove, according to Collins.

The victims were being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Oakland Volunteer Fire Department directed the fire operation with assistance of fire departments from Deer Park, Gorman, Deep Creek and Bayard. Southern Garrett Rescue Squad also responded to the incident upon alert by the Garrett County 911 center.

1
Text Only
Local News