Cumberland Times-News

Local News

September 10, 2013

Officials discuss Mineral judicial annex

Magistrate court building will be renovated

KEYSER, W.Va. — Mineral County Coordinator Mike Bland met recently with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to discuss the judicial annex project and they agreed to do a five-year cash flow analysis of the county’s finances.

The project would include the renovation of the building on West Street that was formerly Jack C. Barr’s office and magistrate court. Once the building is finished it would contain additional court offices, according to Bland.  

The county is working to get full project approval and financing.

“One thing they said would probably take a little period of time is the culture and history review, even on the old building,” said Bland during the county commission meeting on Tuesday. “It should go fairly well because we are not working on the courthouse structure. We are taking an existing structure that is not a historic structure and in the end will actually complement the courthouse.”

Bland estimated that the project will take two years to complete.

Due to the space issues at the courthouse a temporary courtroom for family court has been set up.

In January, the commissioners approved a short-term loan for $469,766 to the county’s building commission to purchase the building.

The county commission has been working on acquiring additional space for the courthouse for eight years and had considered using the parking lot across the street from the courthouse and the Mineral County Detention Center.

Work will resume on the gutter and cornice project next week, according to Bland. The county received a $54,880 grant from the Courthouse Facilities Improvement Authority. The grant provides 80 percent of the funding and the county is responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

“Hopefully, all that work will be finished before bad weather sets in,” said Bland.

In other commission news, Bland asked for permission to start advertising for an information technology person with an annual salary of about $30,000.

Contact Elaine Blaisdell at

Text Only
Local News