Cumberland Times-News

Local News

December 11, 2013

Fire damage minimal at Hollywood Casino

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. (AP) — A fire chief says battery chargers are suspected of causing a small electrical fire at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.

Independent Fire Company Chief Donnie Lanham said the smoldering fire was put out Wednesday in an electrical room.

Lanham said battery chargers for the casino’s vacuum cleaners apparently overheated and ignited the fire.

He said by the time firefighters arrived, the fire had been contained mostly by the casino’s automatic sprinkler system and the work of casino employees. The immediate area near the fire was evacuated.

The Journal of Martinsburg reported casino officials believe damage from the fire is expected to be minimal.

1
Text Only
Local News
Facebook
Must Read
News related video
Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Officials Warn of Avoidable Death in Hot Cars Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' House Committee at Odds Over Obama Lawsuit Biden Talks Economy and Civil Rights Arizona Execution Takes Almost Two Hours Gen. Odierno Discusses Ukraine, NATO at Forum Mint Gives JFK Coin a Face-lift Creative Makeovers for Ugly Cellphone Towers Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's Trump: DC Hotel Will Be Among World's Best Republicans Hold a Hearing on IRS Lost Emails Ex-NYC Mayor: US Should Allow Flights to Israel