Cumberland Times-News

December 11, 2013

Fire damage minimal at Hollywood Casino


Associated Press

— CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. (AP) — A fire chief says battery chargers are suspected of causing a small electrical fire at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.

Independent Fire Company Chief Donnie Lanham said the smoldering fire was put out Wednesday in an electrical room.

Lanham said battery chargers for the casino’s vacuum cleaners apparently overheated and ignited the fire.

He said by the time firefighters arrived, the fire had been contained mostly by the casino’s automatic sprinkler system and the work of casino employees. The immediate area near the fire was evacuated.

The Journal of Martinsburg reported casino officials believe damage from the fire is expected to be minimal.