The Cumberland area received a glancing blow from a winter storm that swept across portions of the country on Friday. The snow was enough to slicken roadways and caused many area school systems to dismiss early. Above, vehicles carefully navigate snow-covered National Highway at its intersection with Campground Road in LaVale. At right, Dion Athey shovels the sidewalk at Greene Street and Millman Place and, at left, students at Parkside Elementary head to the bus for early dismissal.
- Local News
First foreign exchange student makes Alco’s 50-year reunion
The rapidly changing environment of the 1960s ushered in many changes, including a new program in Allegany County that brought the first foreign exchange student, Cathy Rogers of Australia, here in August 1963 to attend Allegany High School for a year.
- Hampshire marketplace proposed
- Rocky Gap gets new park manager
- Council to determine if residents must vacate
- Garret County to discuss easements, grants, sewer plan and more
- Look for the YMCA Project AIM bulletin boards
- SBA flood loan center to be opened
- Mineral County issues advisory message
- From tax-free shopping to Frankenstein, August features a weird mix
- City resident wins medals at 2014 Transplant Games
- More Local News Headlines
- First foreign exchange student makes Alco’s 50-year reunion