A model of a Western Maryland Scenic Railroad train makes its way around a track shaped like Helmstetter’s Curve at Allegany County Fairgrounds on Wednesday. The barn, back, is a scale model of the original structure that existed in the 1970s. The Maryland and West Virginia Model Railroad Association member Richard Arnold of Cash Valley Road said he built the entire model from scratch with more than 160 man-hours. The association will hold open houses on Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.; Wednesday from 6 to 9 p.m.; Dec. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 from 1 to 5 p.m.; and Dec. 5, 12, 19, 26 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Local News
- Corbett, coal interests rally before EPA hearings
- Journey of Hope to raise over $500,000 for charity
- NIH scientists find new genetic risk factors for Parkinson’s
- Housing Authority employees charged with felony theft
- Possible agreement reached between firefighters and city
- Many migrant children relocating with family
- LaVale woman earns First Year Teacher Award
Garrett County pre-K providers to receive $42,000 in grants
Garrett County providers will receive $442,000 in grants as part of Maryland’s Prekindergarten Expansion Act of 2014.
The Garrett County Community Action Committee Inc. received $112,000 to open up an additional or new pre-K in the southern end of the county and $330,00 to add two elementary schools, Grantsville and Friendsville, to the Judy Center, according to Duane Yoder, president of GCCAC.
- Trapping instruction scheduled
- Learn to hunt small game
- More Local News Headlines