Cumberland Times-News

February 25, 2013

State fire marshal warns of carbon monoxide dangers

For the Cumberland Times-News
Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND —  Maryland State Fire Marshal William  Barnard wants to encourage Marylanders to be mindful of the dangers of carbon monoxide. The colorless, tasteless and potentially toxic gas is produced by the incomplete combustion of liquid fuels, solid fuels or natural gas.   

Homeowners should consider purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm if they live in a house that has liquid- fueled space heaters, an attached garage, gas appliances, oil heat, or a wood stove or fireplace. The best place to locate a home CO alarm is on every floor and especially the hallway just outside sleeping areas.  

 Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms similar to the flu, such as headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and irritability. High concentrations of CO can cause vomiting, loss of consciousness and even death.   

“Everyone needs to assume responsibility and take the initiative to protect themselves and their families from the potentially lethal effects caused by carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Barnard.