- Mike Mathews - Sports
- Graham, Dayton, McGinnis, Hegman head of the class Northern’s Adria Graham and Kaitlynn Fratz and Frankfort’s Diane Dayton, a high-scoring trio who posted double-figure totals in goals and assists, head this year’s Cumberland Times-News All-Area girls soccer team, selected by the area’s head coaches.
- Good start a must for Pirates, LaRoches Midway through last year’s Major League Baseball season it was pretty much a certainty the Pittsburgh Pirates would be trading Jason Bay.
- Zac Lipscomb Player of Year Northern’s Zac Lipscomb, who ran away with the area scoring championship and set school records for career goals and points, was voted the Edward C. “Ebbie” Finzel high school boys soccer Player of the Year by area coaches.
Former local hurler named pitching coach at Purdue
Ryan Sawyers can’t wait to get up in the morning.
He’s always loved baseball, and he’s always lived it, too. Now, he’s loving it and living it at Purdue University as the pitching coach of the Boilermakers, runners-up in the Big 10 regular season and tournament a year ago.
- A timeout with T.O. was always on the priority list Monday mornings have never been high on my list of favorites. Some people look forward to the start of a new week. I do, too. I'd just prefer to start it a little later in the day. Weekends have a way of doing that.
- Everything fell neatly in order for Sentinels They played well as underdogs yesterday. We’ll see how well they’ll play as favorites next year.
Sentinels hoping to go over the top today
A year ago almost to the day, the Fort Hill Sentinels turned plenty of heads and made a giant statement in defeat.
Today they hope to do the same in victory.
- Learn to like it and the wins will follow Here's the dirty little secret about defense: Nobody really likes to play it. But the ones who play it best are the ones who become the best, regardless of the sport or the level on which it's played.
Russo, Delaney voted defensive players of year
CUMBERLAND — Christina Russo, who helped lead Allegany to a triple-crown season, and Jenna Delaney, who led area goalkeepers in shutouts and save percentage at Mountain Ridge, were voted the Cumberland Times-News girls soccer Defensive Players of the Year.
The tie in the voting by area head coaches is the first in the 10-year history of the award.
- Lais, Lopez players of year CUMBERLAND — No one scored more goals than Northern’s Elijah Lais.