Here is the real state of the union:
1. Only in America could the rich people — who pay 86 percent of all income taxes — be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
2. Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black president, a black attorney general, and roughly 18 percent of the federal work-force is black while only 12 percent of the population is black.
3. Only in America could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department, and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, both turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4. Only in America can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5. Only in America would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just “magically” become American citizens.
6. Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.”
7. Only in America could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8. Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil is less than half of a company making tennis shoes — Nike).
9. Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year — for total spending of $7 million per minute, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
10. Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
We can thank the most destructive or enabling force in the world for our downfall. The guardians of the republic have been bribed by their wards so now the inmates run the institution. The corrupt media; the king makers.
It is they who need to be elected in order to do their job. We need to be able to vote them out of power. And power they have!
Here is the real state of the union:
File this one under the We Thought We’d Heard Everything category: A man who attempted the armed robbery of a pizza shop is now suing the pizzeria and the employees who tackled him and wrestled his gun away during the holdup.
Legion honor guard available to honor veterans at their funerals
We in the honor guard of Fort Cumberland Post 13, American Legion, performed 196 veterans service in 2013.
The idea of fracturing for natural gas makes many people anxious about potential harmful effects. For that reason alone, it is incumbent on Maryland government to require full disclosure of chemicals used in the process.
Remember, we’re not immune to extinction
I’d like to pose a theoretical scenario to Cal Thomas.
If a medical specialist said, “Cal, you’ve got a serious physical problem. Do nothing and you’ll die soon. Follow my prescription, which involves certain life-style changes, and there’s a good probability you’ll live, even if your life may be a bit more constrained than now.”
America has three branches of government for good reasons
“Mikulski Calls for Continued Action to Protect Women's Health Following Dangerous Supreme Court Decision” is the heading you will find on Sen. Barbara Mikulski’s website.
Tell legislators to do what is right for America’s vets
Without our veterans and those who made the ultimate sacrifice, where would America be today? It is anyone’s guess, however certainly not the Freedom and Liberty we enjoy.
Opposition and inclusion understood
Those of you who have been here before know how I feel about the late great Len Bias, who I will remember foremost as Leonard Bias, the polite, spindly Bambi-eyed kid from Hyattsville’s Northwestern High School, who could throw a dunk through the floor, yet had the most beautiful jump shot I have ever seen.
Have you noticed, in your travels, that the front end of a police cruiser usually protrudes a bit more than you would expect when the officer has it parked behind another vehicle on the side of the road?
Use local workers in building new Baltimore Pike travel stop
As a delegate to the Maryland General Assembly representing Allegany County, and specifically the City of Cumberland, I welcome you to our community as you prepare to construct a Love’s Travel Stop at the above referenced location (on Baltimore Pike).
Northern Garrett Rescue Squad raising funds, seeks members
The Northern Garrett County Rescue Squad recently conducted several fund raising events to raise funds for new Lifepak 15’s, which are EKG monitors with AED / defibrillator.
- More Opinion Headlines