Cumberland Times-News

April 7, 2014

Lonaconing fire ruled accidental - 04/08

Cumberland Times-News

— LONACONING — Friday night’s fire that displaced seven occupants of an apartment building at 45 Jackson St. has been determined to be accidental in nature, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

No injuries were reported when fire broke out at 8:15 p.m. in the two-story building owned by Drolls Rentals, LLC.

Deputy Fire Marshal E. Ernst determined fire originated in a kitchen due to a faulty electrical outlet.

The displaced tenants were provided assistance by the American Red Cross.

Damage to the building was estimated at $45,000 and $15,000 to its contents.

Thirty-five volunteer firefighters responded to the incident, including Lonaconing, Shaft, Midland, Barton, Cresaptown, LaVale, Frostburg, Westernport and Piedmont. Communications were handled by the Allegany County 911 center.

The fire was discovered by a neighbor. Firefighters reportedly brought the blaze under control 15 minutes after arriving at the scene.