Cumberland Times-News

December 9, 2013

Smoking material caused city fire - 12/10

Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — Saturday’s fire that displaced six tenants in an apartment building at 214 Central Ave. was caused by improperly discarded smoking material, according to the Cumberland Fire Department.

The accidental fire that originated in the living room area of the second-floor apartment of Paul Goetz was quickly brought under control following alert of the Cumberland Fire Department at 11:47 p.m.

No injuries were reported in the fire that was investigated by Cumberland Fire Lt. W. Shannon Adams, the city fire marshal.

The American Red Cross provided assistance at the scene.

Property damage resulting from the fire was estimated at $15,000.

The fire was extinguished after city firefighters forced entry into the apartment where it began.

Bowling Green and Ridgeley volunteer fire units assisted at the scene and Bedford Road volunteer firefighters stood by at the city fire central station.