Cumberland Times-News

Police Log

March 26, 2014

Fire damages West Side home - 03/27

CUMBERLAND — A Wednesday afternoon fire that damaged the kitchen of a Greene Street home was accidental, according to a Cumberland fire official.

Cumberland firefighters were dispatched to 411 Greene St. at 5:30 p.m. and reported the fire under control in about five minutes.

Cumberland Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams said the fire was caused by combustibles too close to a heat source. He estimated damages at $15,000 to the structure and $5,000 to contents. He said there were no operating smoke detectors at the time of the blaze.

The property is owned by David Morris and was occupied by Robert Tappia. There was insurance on the property but Tappia did not have renter’s insurance, Adams said.

Thirteen city firefighters responded to the scene. Ridgeley Volunteer Fire Department stood by the city’s central station and Cumberland Police assisted with traffic control. The American Red Cross is assisting the occupant.

There were no injuries.


Text Only
Police Log