Cumberland Times-News

Police Log

January 31, 2013

City fire caused by smoking material - 02/01

CUMBERLAND — Im-properly discarded smoking material was cited as the cause of Monday’s fire at 466 Columbia St., according to the Cumberland Fire De-partment.

Trista Poole and her four children were left homeless by the fire when the discarded smoking material ignited a couch in the downstairs living room, according to Lt. W. Shannon Adams, who serves as the city fire marshal.

The Poole family escaped the fire without injury. First-arriving firefighters found fire coming from the front door and first- and second-floor windows.

The 5:24 a.m. incident also damaged property at 464 and 468 Columbia, according to the fire department.

Immediate emergency assistance was provided to the victims by the American Red Cross.


Text Only
Police Log