Cumberland Times-News

January 31, 2013

City fire caused by smoking material - 02/01


Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — Im-properly discarded smoking material was cited as the cause of Monday’s fire at 466 Columbia St., according to the Cumberland Fire De-partment.

Trista Poole and her four children were left homeless by the fire when the discarded smoking material ignited a couch in the downstairs living room, according to Lt. W. Shannon Adams, who serves as the city fire marshal.

The Poole family escaped the fire without injury. First-arriving firefighters found fire coming from the front door and first- and second-floor windows.

The 5:24 a.m. incident also damaged property at 464 and 468 Columbia, according to the fire department.

Immediate emergency assistance was provided to the victims by the American Red Cross.