Cumberland Times-News

August 19, 2013

Romney residents alerted to fire - 08/20

Cumberland Times-News

— ROMNEY, W.Va. — Activated smoke detectors in a Romney residents allowed the occupants to safely evacuate their smoke-filled dwelling, according to the Romney Volunteer Fire Department.

It was approximately 2:15 a.m., Saturday morning when Romney firefighters were dispatched for a house fire at 184 N. Marsham St.

Engine 1 arrived on scene under the direction of Lt. Nathan Malone, who reported smoke showing from the second floor. Crews made entry into the residence and found heavy smoke conditions, but no fire.

Malone said the occupants used a fire extinguisher in an attempt to to douse the fire prior to their evacuation.

He said the fire appeared to have started as a result of a faulty electric fan and then spread to some blankets and other combustible materials.

Springfield, Augusta, Slanesville, Burlington and Fort Ashby were also alerted, as well as the Romney Rescue Squad.