Cumberland Times-News

October 14, 2013

City firefighters douse South End attic blaze - 10/15


Cumberland Times-News

— CUMBERLAND — An accidental fire that broke out Monday in the attic of a residence at 422 Seymour St. was brought under control in less than 10 minutes by Cumberland firefighters, according to City Fire Marshal Lt. Shannon Adams.

No one was home when the fire occurred at about 1 p.m. The house is owned by David Swisher and occupied by Jordon Swisher and his children. First-arriving units reported heavy smoke and fire in the attic.

Wires in the attic overheated and ignited ceiling rafters and combustibles, Adams said. The fire caused $5,000 damage to the structure and $1,000 to the contents. The property is insured but the occupants did not have insurance.

A neighbor who discovered the fire called 911. There were no operating smoke alarms.

Ridgeley, W.Va., and Bowling Green volunteer fire companies stood by at the city fire station with off-duty Cumberland firefighters. Allegany County Fire Police assisted with traffic control. Potomac Edison and Columbia Gas assisted with utilities.

The American Red Cross responded to assist the family.