Cumberland Times-News

October 29, 2012

WVSSAC says Elkins won’t have to forfeit

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

— PARKERSBURG, W.Va. — The West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission has decided to let an Elkins High School football player to continue competing.

The SSAC declared running back James Lawrence ineligible last week and stripped Elkins of its seven wins this season. The SSAC based the ruling on a residency requirement.  

But the Randolph County Board of Education reviewed the facts and determined Lawrence was protected by a federal statute under which he is considered to be homeless and therefore eligible to compete.

SSAC Executive Director Gary Ray says Elkins won’t be required to forfeit any games. Hampshire High School, which suffered a 57-42 loss to Elkins in the second week of the season, would have gotten an extra win had the original ruling been upheld and entered its game with Frankfort at 7-2.

Elkins is 7-2 this season and was eighth in the latest SSAC Class AAA computer ratings. The top 16 teams at the end of the regular season make the playoffs.