SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Three days after news broke about his fake dead girlfriend, Manti Te’o is still mum and Notre Dame has urged the star linebacker to speak up — and soon.
Athletic director Jack Swarbrick said the school has encouraged the Heisman Trophy finalist to talk publicly about a hoax that turned the feel-good story of the college football season into one of the most bizarre in memory.
During the taping of his weekly radio show, posted online Friday, Swarbrick called on Te’o to explain exactly how he was duped into an online relationship with a woman whose “death” was faked by people behind the scam.
Skeptics have questioned statements from Te’o and Notre Dame, wondering why the player failed to mention he never met his girlfriend face-to-face, or tell the school about the ruse until Dec. 26 — nearly three weeks after officials say Te’o learned he had been fooled.
Swarbrick believes Te’o ultimately will speak publicly.
“I don’t have any specific knowledge as to how and when, but I can’t fathom a circumstance where it doesn’t (happen). I sort of share everybody’s view that it has to happen,” he said. “We are certainly encouraging it to happen. We think it’s important and we’d like to see it happen sooner rather than later.”
He said that before Deadspin.com broke the news about the hoax in a lengthy report Wednesday, Te’o and his family had planned to go public with the story Monday.
“Sometimes the best laid plans don’t quite work, and this was an example of that. Because the family lost the opportunity in some ways to control the story,” he said. “It is in the Te’o family’s court. We are very much encouraging them.”