People cheer as President Barack Obama, shown on a big screen, speaks to crowds attending the memorial service for former South African president Nelson Mandela at the FNB Stadium in Soweto near Johannesburg, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013. World leaders, celebrities, and citizens from all walks of life gathered on Tuesday to pay respects during a memorial service for the former South African president and anti-apartheid icon.
Obama hails Mandela as ‘last great liberator’
Amid cheers and song for the
prisoner who became peacemaker,
Obama energized tens of thousands
of spectators and nearly
100 visiting heads of state
Tuesday with a plea for the
world to emulate Nelson Mandela,
“the last great liberator of
the 20th century.”
- School board finalizes legislative wish list
- Ridgeley council closes community center until March
- Gary Maynard leaving job as head of Maryland corrections
- Correctional officers take staffing complaints to delegation
- Hampshire could be home to $1 million hazmat response unit
- Obama hails Mandela as ‘last great liberator’
- Sports Poll
It’s time to bury the idea of endless war
Our 10 years of brutal and unnecessary wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have left tens of thousands of innocent civilians dead and wounded, forced over four million Iraqis into either internal or external exile, killed thousands of U.S. troops, grievously wounding many times that number, and wasted untold billions of dollars.
- Have great times, but keep in mind the reason for Christmas
- Learn more about educators before you start bashing them
- Not again?
- Mandela lived life of courage, perseverance
- Fiscal prudence during tight timess needed in education
- It’s time to bury the idea of endless war
- What do you think?
Life on earth survived some really close calls
Last year at this time, there was a lot of talk about the world ending on Dec. 21, 2012. Of course, nothing of the sort happened — otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this column!
- A man should never argue with a redhead
- Fort Hill’s approach is all-inclusive
- What resource will the O’s allocate next?
- In this case, words represented Beem’s deeds
- Vivian Helsley dominates ladies tourney
- Life on earth survived some really close calls